lifelong learning

observations from the life of one homeschooling family

Thursday, June 22, 2006

It hasn't all been park days and parties though... We recently went through a period in which I became 'Enforcer Mom', and made him do several lines of writing every day. I think the chaos of the move caused me to feel the need to exert some control over the learning process.

So we had about 2 weeks of working on print, which became more of a struggle the longer it went on. We finished the alphabet, and I was once again reminded of my ideals regarding child-led learning. I announced the end of the forced writing program.

The very next day, at the Sunchild's request, we headed to the store, and picked up a book on cursive writing. Apparently, this form of the written word intrigues him. He has been enjoying exploring this much more flowing form of writing, and I think he is finally understanding the idea behind making each letter the in the same way each time... and, since it was his idea, I haven't had to push it at all. Oh, that's right. I know learning happens like that- I just forget, sometimes, in the moment...

This afternoon, he has been spending hours working with his electricity sets. In fact, he is still at it... Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home