lifelong learning

observations from the life of one homeschooling family

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I asked the Sunchild if he would read me "If You Give a Pig a Pancake" this morning, and he was more than happy to oblige. I read about every third page, and he read me the rest. It is neat to see his reading skills getting better all the time.

Shortly afterwards, we made a trip to the toy store. He had decided to spend some of his allowance on some new Bionicle Rahaga. We also revamped the play area in the last few days, and he has a large number of Lego projects on display. He wants to take some pictures of his best ones, so that we can post them at Lego Club, and perhaps even enter a contest.

We finished the first Bionicle book today. I like having a better understanding of this gameworld that he is hanging out in. It reminds me of my role-playing days, back in my 20s, when my friends and I would spend hours creating fantastic, mythological, multi-author realms, and having adventures within. It is also a good focus in our current unschooling adventure. I know he is learning all sorts of interesting things about engineering: levers, pulleys, gears & gear-ratios, articulations (yes, he is the son of an anatomy geek), structural stability, and so on. He loves when I read the books to him, adding a literacy element as well.

Meanwhile, I print things out from the Net that I feel he might enjoy, and sometimes he does, and sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes, it takes a while, and he finds interest in something from a ways back.

I have to keep in mind the dimensions of this learning, and that there is plenty of time to cover things like timelines, and science experiments, and whatnot. These days, the kitchen is our laboratory, we get history and culture through stories. He loves number play, and we engage in it spontaneously throughout the day. We read a whole lot, and he is starting to be part of those who read aloud. I think he was inspired by his friend Daniel the other day, who read him 2 Dr. Suess books during their playdate. He picks up the pen when he has something to write. He practices woodwork with his Papa.

There is a whole lotta learning going on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home