lifelong learning

observations from the life of one homeschooling family

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The letter from the superintendent came yesterday. I think I should post it somewhere prominently. I know it must be a form letter, but I love the choice of words, "Upon review of the documentation you have provided, I am convinced that you are qualified to educate your children at home and are prepared to do so." I may want to look at those words when I am feeling less than confident, LOL.

Our day was full of learning activities today. We began by tracing some letters, practicing the lower case curves. We also worked with fractions. I had found some tools online that had circles divided into various numbers. He cut those out, and saw how 2/6 = 1/3, and other similar connections. Then we rode the 3 wheeler to the bank, and to Target for some window shopping & price comparison of Bionicles. The Sunchild is going to a birthday party, and we were deciding what we should get as a gift.

After lunch, I printed out the Stamp Game, which I had found online, onto nice thick cardstock. We cut these out together, and then practiced adding various numbers. We added up the numbers of the years we were born, and he got it right. This manipulative is very useful, because it shows the whole concept of carrying over in a clear way. He remembered this game from when he went to Montessori preschool, and jumped into it with enthusiasm.

Later on, he pulled Clue Junior off his shelf. We played a game of that, which is a nice introduction to logic, and process of elimination. He enjoyed these games so much, that he announced he wanted to play Star Wars Monopoly too. We had only attempted that once before, but I became frustrated when I had to do all the calculating. Today was different. We set the game up, and then I needed to begin dinner. So he brought the 'bank' over to the hallway so we could chat while I cooked, and I would ask him to count out a certain amount. Then we moved to adding amounts together. This was so much like the Stamp Game that he took right to it. While dinner cooked, we played for a while, and once we were out of time, we left it set up so that we could continue today where we had left off.

We did take a moment to watch a kid's movie on Leonardo Da Vinci. Afterwards, the Sunchild listed five things that he had learned from the movie, and one of them was that the paint had chipped off of The Last Supper! He really is learning to pay attention to details.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home