lifelong learning

observations from the life of one homeschooling family

Monday, September 19, 2005

I need to get rid of the spreadsheet.

It seemed like such a good idea in my panic at getting this homeschooling thing off to the right start. 900 hours. I should have listened to Julie right off the bat. I am not legally required to keep records of the hours- so then why did I manage to get all caught up in that trap???

And so I spent the better part of today, our first 'official' day outside of the government school, focused on a spreadsheet & what it was saying than on my son and what he was saying.

Not really. But yes really, too. We had a lot of good learning and focused activites. We covered a variety of things. But in the back of my mind, there was this stopwatch, assessing how much time we were spending on each thing so that I could write it down in my infernal spreadsheet.


And so, this evening, as I was reading Your First Year of Homeschooling, I came upon a section which had lifestyle vignettes of different families. Each was a narative. A spreadsheet cannot convey information like a narrative can. I cannot go back over it and re-experience the day. And it imposes artificial limitations on learning, which is really a continuum.

I bet tomorrow will be a lot more fun now that I have figured this part out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home