lifelong learning

observations from the life of one homeschooling family

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

This Kindergarten adventure is not going quite the way that I envisioned it. Or, maybe the truth of the matter is that I have always envisioned homeschooling, so I have invested little energy into visualizing a healthy Kindergarten experience.

The Sunchild has informed me repeatedly that he hates it at school. He askes why we can't homeschool. I have no real answers for him. The reality is that our financial situation is the only reason we have put him in public school. That isn't a good enough reason, really. He has agreed to give it another week, but we are looking into our options in order to figure out how to pull off educating him at home.

I know that he will adjust, eventually, if we insist on keeping him there. I am not so sure that "adjusting" to the system is what I think is best for my son. I am responsible for his education in all areas: intellectual, emotional,and spiritual. I am not certain that public school can meet his needs intellectually, and I am quite certain that they are deficient in the emotional & spiritual realms.

I fear that we cannot afford to homeschool. However, I am not certain that we can afford not to.

1 Comments:

Blogger gojirama said...

I know that feeling of Can we afford to? Can we not to? Thatw as an issue for years. In the end we cut back LOT, I got a part time job I could take the kids too, and we plunged in. Wishing you clarity..

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home